with Sri. Sudhir Tiwari
In partnership with Kaivalyadham International, YogaLite offers a 200 hour Pranayama Teacher Training Course over three one week workshops in the North of France. This course is opened to people who have a regular pratice of Hatha Yoga and a basic understanding of the fundamental yogic texts (Patanjali Yoga Sutras, Hatha Pradipika)
Title : Pranayama teacher training course – year 1
Objective : provide an authentic and authoritative training for a rigorous Pranayam practice based on the ancient scriptures and the science of Yoga according to the Kaivalyadham lineage. This training will address the definition, the techniques (and their variations), as well as the results of the practice in the light of Ayurveda and modern science.
Certificate : participants will be assessed in theory and practice and will receive upon successful completion a certificate testifying their ability to teach basic Pranayam with breath retention. This certificate also gives the participants access to the second year of the 3 year Pranayam teacher Training at Kaivalyadham India.
Public : traditional Yoga teachers or anyone knowing the basis of traditional Yoga. Participants must have a regular personal practice of asanas.
Location : Les Tourelles de Condette, 12 avenue de l’Yser, 62360 Condette. Online map
Duration : 200 hours of teaching in group over two one week workshops and one ten day workshop (24 days in total). Regular personal practice and study are expected from the participants between the workshops. Dates and program below.
Teaching : lessons will be conducted by Sudhir Tiwari, and simultaneously translated into French by YogaLite team.
Fee : 2900 € teaching fee, food and accomodation not included
The price includes : teaching and translation in French
The price does not include : books, transport, accomodation and food during the workshops (about 60€ / day)
Prerequisites : applicants must have a regular personal asana practice and a basic understanding of Patanjali’s Yoga Sutra and Hatha Pradipika
Payment : 900 € deposit at registration to book a place + 2000 € balance to be paid before the course starts.
Teachers : Sudhir Tiwari, assisted by Neda Lazarevic, director of YogaLite
With Pranayama generating much interest in the current yoga culture worldwide and it being an immensely important and sensitive practice, it is pivotal that Pranayama be taught correctly from a traditional, technical and scientific perspective.
While yoga asana is extensively taught in the west and yoga teacher training are widely available, yoga teachers are seldom able to include relevant elements of kriya and pranayama in their yoga classes, as their training was primarily asana based.
Keeping the above in mind Kaivalyadhama has designed a course where students will gain a proper understanding of Pranayamic practices from an intellectual (traditional, technical and scientific) as well as practical and experiential point of view so that they can correctly teach the same to students in various settings.
This training aims to provide students who have already acquired a basic knowledge of teaching yoga asana, with a proper understanding of Pranayamic practices from an intellectual as well as practical point of view, so that they can confidently continue to advance their own practices and teach the same to students in their yoga classes.
Non-teachers with a dedicated yoga practice and a genuine interest in establishing a sincere pranayama practice are also warmly welcomed in this training.
The overall theme of this course will revolve around the definition, the technique/techniques (and its variations) and the outcome of Pranayamic practices. The outcome will be discussed based on Ayurveda as well as modern science.
Students will be expected to learn all the Six Kriyas. Exceptions can be made in case of medical limitations.
Sudhir Tiwari interview about Pranayama
- Regular personal practice of traditional Hatha Yoga asanas
- Basic knowledge and understanding of fundamental scriptures (Patanjali Yoga Sutras, Hatha Pradipika)
- Ability to stay comfortably seated in a meditative posture for 30-40 minutes
- Ability to slow the respiratory rythm down to 4 breaths per minute (5 seconds inhalation, 10 seconds exhalation)
To apply for this course, please send an email to email@example.com with the following documents attached :
- A recent photo of yourself where your face is clearly visible
- A copy of your Yoga teacher certificate / diploma if you have one
- An essay – minimum 1000 words – explaining your understanding of traditional Yoga based on clear references to the scriptures
- A detailed description of your personal practice
- A motivation letter explaining why you would like to enroll in this course
The course program
Module 1 : 19-26 April 2024
- Introduction to Pranayama
- Introduction to essential texts in relation to Pranayama
- Introduction to Ayurveda
- Teaching and practice of Kriyas
Module 2 : 01-08 June 2024
- Progression in learning and practice
- Study of essential texts
- Pranayama in the light of modern science
- Introduction to teaching methodology of Pranayam
- Teaching and practice of Kriyas
Module 3 : 04-14 Nov 2024
- Final phase of the progression, introduction to breath retention
- Study of texts and methodology
- Fundamental Yogic therapy principles
- Kriya practice
- Written tests
Between every module, students are expected to put in practice the techniques and to follow the given progression. They also have to submit on time all required written homework.